Sunday, December 19, 2004

green season in paradise

since returning to sydney from surfers paradise, i had been beach bumming in coogee with sis & cousins. the plan to travel again came from there. hanging around close to the water is a sure good way to pass time. in our conversations, came the possibility of phuket, hawaii, fiji. lack of bargain deals & inability to be adequately covered by travel insurance meant local travel. and then i stumbled across CAIRNS. the first destination of my solo travels which started in 1991. i will never forget my adventures there. i was also there with my whole family last july as a break or half way point to my chemo treatment. visiting there last july reminded me of how beautiful life is and continue to be. i have even contemplated living there.

so on december 9, with one of my smartest & coolest female cousins, we fly away from sydney. when we landed i felt home and the tropical heat reminded me that although this is my fourth visit, this is the first time i get to be here in the rainy season. it is actually called "the green" season as the rain makes everything green. it also meant the season for marine stingers.

stayed in a brand new holiday apartment in the city so it was so handy for me to go out for my walks whilst my cousin did the activities/ touristy things. she thought kuranda (the rainforest) was boring and i don't really blame her too much. trees are just trees right. but maybe it would have been more fun for her if she wasn't by herself. she did however enjoyed the other destinations & activities although her white water rafting was a lot tamer than what she expected.

some highlights for me:
* esplanade boardwalk. walking past & re-visiting the mango trees me, dad & sister attacked last july
* swimming on the lagoon (even at night) surrounded by world travellers/ flying bats & new moon rising
* cheap japanese food
* cocktails (cosmo /mango dacquiri)
* snorkelling agincourt reef ( free cruise usually worth $190 per person included as bonus from our accomodation package).
* ice cream night cap by the boardwalk.
* drunken chit chats/ sunset beach photo sessions with couz
* swimming in the hotel pool during a rainstorm
bih:office/cbd/visit one:1brbk/2mediterranean/3fskn/4brit1stBumbum
bih:office/cbd/visittwo:1rimBlwOvaBk/2CkRingBtmBrBkBlwIns


didn't sleep our last night as we were supposed to be picked up at 3:45 am. on 16 dec i got back to sydney and crashed into bed. woke up later with a sore throat.

17 dec
inspected my flat as the japanese tennants had left. yay, am soon moving back in. but my excitement is dampened by my sore throat. maybe i had overdone it in cairns?! need to rest lots. had lunch in pitt st mall & did some xmas shopping. for dinner, i had YOSHINOYA, a japanese fast food joint. it's only a few steps away from my apartment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home